Doug S. Gilliland
Mr. Gilliland is a distinguished defense lawyer with 23 years of experience in Criminal Defense, Civil Rights Laws and Personal Injury cases. He has won Jury verdicts and obtained settlements reaching up to and exceeding a million dollars in many prominent counties of the State of California such as Orange, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. He is the managing partner of the San Diego office.
Mr. Gilliland has represented many prominent clients in High Profile Criminal Defense cases. His efforts proved fruitful in reducing the sentence of the plaintiffs in many difficult cases. Some of the prominent cases that he was involved in are:
- Congressional Bribery Case – He represented the government HR contractor who was charged with bribing the then USA congressman Mr. Randy ‘Duke’ Cunningham. This case is considered to be the largest congressional bribing case in the History of United States. Mr. Gilliland was successful in negotiating an Immunity deal for the government HR contractor who had been convicted in this case.
- Grandnephew of former Philippine Presidents, First Degree murder case – Mr. Gilliland was able to negotiate time served for the grandnephew of former presidents of Philippine Benigno and Corazon Aquino who had been arrested for a first degree murder case after being featured in an episode of America’s Most Wanted.
- Massive Ponzi Scheme Case- In a case of a massive Ponzi scheme, Mr. Gilliland was able to get a not -guilty verdict for two Emmy award-winning producers on 21 counts in a two-month period.
- National League Player Kevin Mitchell- Mr. Gilliland was able to obtain a misdemeanor deal in a two-count assault with a deadly weapon felony case against Kevin Mitchell the famous world league champion and most valuable national league player.
- 20 Million Dollar Federal Case- Negotiated immunity for a funds processor in a 20 million dollar federal case against Manhattan Online Poker.
- Discovery Channel – Persuaded the district attorney to not file any charges against the Discovery channel reality TV personality Tommy ‘Gipsy’ Quinn from the Devil’s Ride.
- Hate-Crime/Murder case- In El Cajon, California, Mr. Gilliland took up the Hate-Crime/Murder Case of Kassim Alhimidi.
- Nazarene Minister- In Riverside County, He represented the Nazarene Minister in an assault case and hung the jury 6-6.
As mentioned Earlier, Mr. Gilliland’s experience is not limited to Criminal Defense. He also has more than 2 decades of experience in fighting and winning Civil Law suits and Personal injury cases. Some of his most prominent cases in this regards are:
- Davis vs Davis case- A fraud case that resulted in a settlement of 12 million dollars.
- Water Contamination Case- He represented multiple clients in a case against the local water supply district for supplying contaminated water and obtained a 1.4 million dollar settlement.
- VIOXX Class Action Lawsuit – In a VIOXX class action lawsuit that was worth 4.85 billion dollars, Mr. Gilliland represented multiple clients.
- Civil Defense Cases- Mr. Gilliland has helped clients in many Civil defense cases such as the infamous BUMSFIGHT video and Birdrock bandits murder/assault case.
Mr. Gilliland received his degree for Bachelors of Arts from the University Of Washington in Seattle, Washington in 1985. He chose to attend law school at the University of Oregon School of law in Eugene, Oregon where he served as a Personal Injury law teaching assistant and as the associate editor of the Oregon Law review. He received his Juris Doctorate (Law degree) from the University of Oregon in 1990. After completing his Masters in Law, He received his Masters of Law degree from San Diego School of Law an year later in 1991.
Mr. Gilliland gained permission to practice law before all courts of State of California in 1991. He was admitted to practice law in the United States District Court, Southern state of California in December 1991. In June 2001, He was admitted to practice law in the Eastern District, California. He was permitted to practice law in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in September 2001. In 2002, He was admitted to practice law in the Supreme Court of the United States. He gained acceptance to practice low in the eastern district of Louisiana in 2008 to take up the VIOXX mass tort litigation case.
Leonard H. Burgess
Mr. Burgess is a native Los Angeles and he is the managing partner of the Los Angeles office. He started his career as a personal injury defense lawyer and a complex litigation specialist defending mass insurance companies and the Fortune 500 companies in serious injury trials. Later he also expanded his service to include multinational companies from Europe, Canada and the United States.
After representing Insurance carriers in serious injury cases for many years, Mr. Burgess later shifted his services to defend the injured plaintiff. He has obtained many million and multi-million dollar settlements in personal injury and civil defense cases. Some of his most salient cases are:
- The Bristol v. Otay Water District mass tort litigation case that resulted in a settlement of $880,000.
- The David vs David cases which resulted in a settlement of 12 million dollars.
- Multiple auto accident cases with settlements exceeding one million.
- Sued the offender in a Sexual Molestation case. The settlement of this case is confidential.
- Secured $125,000 in settlement for the dog-bite of 4-year old. Initially the insurance company had declared they won’t pay a penny above $50,000.
- Secured $225000 in settlement for the severed finger of client at Health club. Originally the Health club had refused to accept any liability for the injury.
- After the Car Company had denied any refund in a Vehicle Lemon Law case, Mr. Burgess was able secure $52,500 from the car company.
- Secured a settlement of $250,000 in a case of medical Mal-practice.
- Represented the world-wide on-line poker payment organization that was being targeted for a 2 billion federal prosecution in Manhattan, New York.
- Severe Tanning and bed burn case.
Mr. Burgess acquired his Bachelors of Arts degree in 1987 from California State University in Northridge. He attended law school in McGeorge College of Law in Sacramento, and Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego. He received his Juris Doctorate (Law Degree) in 1992 from Thomas Jefferson School of Law. He then got enrolled in Kings College London, England for further studies in Law where he received International Law certification from the then United States Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy.
He was permitted to practice law in all California superior courts, Courts of Appeal and California Supreme Court in 1993. He also gained admittance to practice law in the United States District court in the southern district of California in the same year.
Since then Mr. Burgess has handled many prominent cases in Southern and Northern California.
Our San Diego injury attorney law firm, we offer unparalleled service and deliver extraordinary results. When you are our client, you are a person. Not a number. From the minute you walked through the door, you will understand that, unlike other law firms, we care. You will meet with a personal injury attorney from the very first day that you step in to our office, and you will be in constant contact with an injury lawyer throughout your case. We not hand your case over to paralegals or secretaries. We believe that being an attorney is not just a job, but a profession. We live and breathe CA law, we apply it aggressively, and we are here for you when you need us.
We take personal injury law cases on contingency, meaning that we take a percentage of whatever we recover for you, and we taken nothing if we don’t recover anything. Because of the way our fee arrangement is structured, it is in our financial interests to maximize the amount of money that we recover for you. To that end, we seek compensation for every possible loss that you may have suffered. We know that every dollar counts. We carefully calculate your amount of lost earnings. This may require the use of a vocational expert, who can testify about the effect of your injuries on your ability to work and earn money. It also may require testimony of a financial expert to calculate the present value of future lost earnings. You need a personal injury attorney in San Diego CA who understands these multiple areas of expertise and is able to coordinate the testimony of various kinds of expert witnesses.
In addition to lost earnings, you will be entitled to compensation for your medical bills. The good news is that the compensation is not just for the out-of-pocket money that you pay for medical services, but is instead for the actual cost of the medical services that you received, which may be far greater than the amount of money that you paid out. Your medical insurance company will want to be compensated for the medical bills that they pay. However, we will negotiate the amount of money that the medical insurance company claims they are owed so that our slip and fall lawyers can get you as much money as possible for medical bills – hopefully even more than you paid out in your deductible to receive the medical services. Furthermore, insurance companies often are able to purchase medical services on a reduced rate because they buy in bulk, so to speak. Therefore, the actual value of the medical services that you receive may be greater than the total amount of money that was paid to the health-care providers that render the services.
San Diego Injury Attorney
Our injury attorneys will attempt to recover the full value of the services, which can be greater not only than the money you paid out as a deductible, but also greater than the amount of money that the insurance company paid. These are just a couple of ways that we seek to maximize the amount of money you recover for your medical expenses.
Our personal injury lawyer in San Diego will also seek to recover money for your pain and suffering. Many times people who suffer accidents are no longer able to participate in activities that they once enjoyed. For example, in injury fear him, which might be repaired with a simple surgery, may have damaging effects that are much greater than the value of the surgery. For example, if you play sports or a musical instrument even a minor injury to your hands or another part of your body can result in a significant amount of emotional distress for which you deserve to be compensated.
Many people who are injured also lose the ability to do other activities besides sports. For example they cannot garden, play with their children or grandchildren, play with their dog, enjoy sexual relations, or sit for long periods of time during religious services. We pride ourselves on being storytellers and on having a masterful understanding of human psychology, which allows us to paint pictures and words to persuade others to award you as much money as possible. In this time of need, you deserve the best or presentation that you can get, and should not sell yourself short by making a quick decision and neglecting to consult with caring, devoted attorneys in San Diego County. We are available for free consultation 24 hours a day seven days a week and look forward to receiving your call. Feel free to visit our new personal injury blog.
By Douglas Gilliland